Dear Alice Springs Voters,
I am writing to you seeking your support for me to be the next Mayor of Alice Springs. I have lived in Alice Springs since 2008 and am a respected community leader. I have the experience, knowledge and natural leadership skills to drive the change needed for a better Alice, for everyone.
I am a sitting elected member and ran for election for both Mayor and Council in 2017. I was thrilled that 35% of Alice Springs supported my campaign for Mayor and was the second elected to Council on primary votes.
I have the capacity, tenacity and skills to lead a new Council and our town towards a better version of itself. It’s not going to be easy but we do need to roll up our sleeves and start having a go at it.
We can be: A vibrant and safe cosmopolitan regional capital.
Let’s dare to co-create a new vision for Alice Springs’ future! I will work tirelessly across the community to bring people together to share and grow the ideas that will position us for a better Alice Springs.
We need: Strong Leadership and a Visionary Plan.
Let’s get started:
1. Reset relationships with key partners. Strengthen our community voice in Council.
- We need to be working more effectively with all levels of government (i.e. the NT Government, reigonal councils and the Federal Government when possible), and our community, to build a safer, fairer and better Alice Springs.
- Yes! This does include a new approach by Council when it comes to matters that relate to youth, family and community well-being.
- A new plan for Alice Springs will take a good hard look at ourselves, how our governance and operational systems work, where they don’t – and how we can make them BETTER.
2. Revitalise our CBD, renew our suburbs. A leader who takes responsibility.
- We need to put priority focus on revitalising our CBD. This means cleaner streets and parks, more trees, more shade, better playgrounds, better lighting, native and vegie verges and more toilets. There is no limit to how much we can grow this town BUT we must ensure our town adapts and responds to the challenges of our times.
- In addition to Revitalisation and Renewal of our suburbs, I propose another R word: RESPONSIBILITY. As Mayor it will be my responsibility to ensure our Council is working for our whole community. We must see our town AS A WHOLE and I will work tirelessly to bring the different parts of our town together.
- A new plan for Alice Springs will clearly lay out the trajectory for our town, the key planning decisions – and how new infrastructure can best be designed to benefit all stakeholders.
3. Build a Renewable and Resilient Alice Springs
- I will work with Council to invest in a cleaner, safer future through renewable energy, implement new waste reduction strategies, new recycling policy and climate-smart infrastructure and systems.
- I’ve learnt that bringing the community together and a part of the journey is one of the hardest parts of making change. I won’t be making unrealistic funding promises to Alice Springs voters, but I can guarantee that under my leadership Alice Springs will see a new approach – and the all too common claims “the problem is too challenging“ or “there is nothing Council can do about that” will not be my style.
- A new plan for Alice Springs will clearly lay out achievable targets for our town, across a range of indicators including: economic, health and well-being, work-force participation, education opportunities, and social inclusion.
Vote 1: Jimmy Cocking.
I have quit my long-term CEO role to focus on getting elected to Mayor of this town. Alice Springs deserves someone who is focused completely on the job at hand. I am an independent. I am not a member of a political party or running a business.
I want to be a leader that you can be proud of, someone who inspires the community to be more compassionate, more collaborative and help drive positive social and economic change.
If you want to know more about me and what I stand for email me at email@example.com or call me anytime on 0423511931.
If you want me to be your Mayor, put me number 1 at the ballot box and make sure you number all the boxes to make sure your vote counts.
Let’s work towards a better Alice for everyone, together.